Can someone give advice on my audio graph?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
owlknight182

Can someone give advice on my audio graph?

Post by owlknight182 »

Hey there all, I'm new to DCP-o-matic and creating a DCP to be shown in a theater in a few days. I've tested all the sound on my film in full surround sound and not had any problems with things being too loud/quiet...but this audio graph has me slightly worried. Should it? I don't really know how to read this, but the software gave me the advice that my center track needs to be turned down. I'm just worried about the voices becoming too quiet if I do that. Thanks for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carsten

Re: Can someone give advice on my audio graph?

Post by Carsten »

Yes, your center track is clipping - you should reduce gain for ALL tracks by 4 dB. Your dialogue (if on center) is hovering slightly below 20dB RMS - that's a good level for dialogue, so don't worry to reduce overall gain.

Can you indicate the audio encoder that was used in your source file? Some lossy auio codecs seem to have a tendency to 'decode' inherent clipping. I have seen this previously with (I believe) AAC encoded audio. Your's +3.5dB is disturbing. I assume you did not adjust the center or overall gain in DCP-o-matic ?