Feature request - Timing position synching with editing position

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Feature request - Timing position synching with editing position

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

When choosing "Move to start of reel" and then the second reel (on pop-up), the "position" field is updated, but the "set" button is still gray. The pointer of the editor (where it shows what frame it is you see) is not changed.
So (grey) is the "Trim up to current position" and "Trim from current position to end".

Same on ver. 2.17.20.

Side-note: on Mantis, there is no way to reset my password. I somehow lost it and I can not create an account with my email either...
Yet, I saw a "bug" about renaming fade in and fade out to video fade in etc.
If that is on the "Video" tab, that is not necessary. It's self-explanatory and, therefore, the addition is redundant. If it's to be moved to "timing" for some inexplicable reason, that's another story.
Last edited by IoannisSyrogiannis on Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Bug - Ver. 2.17.22 timing position not working the way it is supposed

Post by carl »

When choosing "Move to start of reel" and then the second reel (on pop-up), the "position" field is updated, but the "set" button is still gray.
Would you expect to also have to click "Set" after "Move to start of reel"?
The pointer of the editor (where it shows what frame it is you see) is not changed
I wouldn't really expect this either... are you interpreting "Move to start of reel" as "Move this content to the start of its reel", or something else?
Side-note: on Mantis, there is no way to reset my password. I somehow lost it and I can not create an account with my email either...
Hopefully you should get an email soon with a reset link.
Yet, I saw a "bug" about renaming fade in and fade out to video fade in etc.
If that is on the "Video" tab, that is not necessary. It's self-explanatory and, therefore, the addition is redundant. If it's to be moved to "timing" for some inexplicable reason, that's another story.
Did you mean this one? If so it's just an internal thing (the name of an XML tag) and doesn't change the UI.
IoannisSyrogiannis

Re: Bug - Ver. 2.17.22 timing position not working the way it is supposed

Post by IoannisSyrogiannis »

I would expect either to have to click "Set", or the pointer of the editor to move automatically.
Of course, when one sets the timing of a subtitle or audio reel, it's not necessary for the editor's pointer to move along. It does, though, when one is high-lighting a specific essence, like a subtitle, or an audio file.

In this scenario, I was trying to export only some of the reels (ready-made package), and avoid others at the starting and finishing ends. There wasn't anything I wanted to add to the original DCP. Therefore, I was attempting to set the beginning and end of the composition, in order to use the "Trim up to current position" and "Trim from current position to end", in order not to have to enter the time-codes manually. So, it made sense to me that when I choose for something or for nothing to be placed at the beginning of reel "X", the pointer would follow, that it would be intentional to do so.
Admittedly, I can imagine scenarios where one wouldn't favor that movement, but mostly the contrary.

If there is a way to change the thread title, I will change "bug" to "feature request".

Thank you for the reset link email. I will look to it soon.
Indeed, that was what I was referring to, and it makes sense to document properly and thoroughly inside an XML file.