Codec lost after installation

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
amiba

Codec lost after installation

Post by amiba »

After installing DCP-o-matic my system isn't able to playback blue-ray disks at all.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and I was able to watch unemcripted Disks with vcl. I don't know what was happened but after installing the software, I am not more able to use this to create a dcp from a blue-ray disk as I want. I've not a clue why now I am not more able, even to watch a disk with vlc.
Does anyone has got an idea to get this ability back. Its not nice that the software is destroying this ability to my PC.

Hope for help..
carl
Site Admin

Re: Codec lost after installation

Post by carl »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge dcpomatic2
from a terminal should remove the DCP-o-matic package and get you back to how things were before. Does this work?

What error do you get when you try to watch a blu-ray with VLC? Is this from a disc, or from a rip?
amiba

Post by amiba »

The fault, that is reported from vlc player is:
Kein passendes Decodermodul:
VLC unterstützt das Audio- oder Videoformat "undf" nicht. Leider können Sie daran nichts ändern.
what means there isnt a matching decodermodule - vlc does not support the audio- or video formate "undf". you've got no chance to change that.

this uninstall did not help really - the fault stays. I tried that as well.

The disk that I want to play is a real Disk, produce from a friend you plays music and who want to do that movie in cinemas. There for I tried to convert the movie to a dcp as if you've got a dcp you are able to play it in every theater without any problem. I was watching a part of the movie before I did install dcpomatic.

anyway the command apt-get purge dcpomatic2 doesn't works as the name of the package is only dcpomatic but I tried to apt-get purge dcpomatic
and it doesn't worked as well. It looks like as if dcpomatic is not really uninstalled after it as there are some traces of the installation. Of course the dcpomatic is than gone but the vlc plays the blue-ray with the same message not.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

The disk that I want to play is a real Disk
Is it a Blu Ray? DVD? Or is it a computer disk containing some file?
amiba

Post by amiba »

It is a Blue-Ray Movie on a Blue-Ray Disk. It was not playable with the pre installed player on my ubuntu. But I did install vlc and that worked until I did install dcpomatic. Since that installation my ability of playback a Blue-Ray Disk is gone. I could use Windows but I am using ubuntu for all my work and so if I do something I like to use ubuntu, as I am able to work by using this ability as well in the background or in a window.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I just tried this myself and VLC will play Blu Ray fine on my machine both before and after DCP-o-matic is installed.

Are you installing VLC from the Ubuntu repositories? If so, it might be interesting to see if

Code: Select all

apt-get remove vlc
apt-get install vlc
makes any difference.

It is extremely hard to see how installing DCP-o-matic could break VLC Blu-Ray playback. Aside from icons etc. in /usr/share the only things in the package are the binaries in /usr/bin.
amiba

Post by amiba »

This hasn't helped as well. Was the first I thought would help.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Try a different disc. What kind of disc is this anyway?

I wouldn't rule out a problem with that disc.

Try ripping that disc e.g. with MakeMKV and see what happens if you try to play this or other de-encrypted MKVs.

- Carsten
amiba

Post by amiba »

I've now installed MakeMKV but vlc isn't playing the Blue-ray at all. I am able to use MKV but if I do the movie that is exact 60Min long gets to something about 54Min and as this Movie is a Movie that is produced by a friend, shouldn't modified. This would cause lots of problems as checking which is changed and if he is accepting what has changed and more.

I do normaly never watch a movie on my notebook. I allways do that in Cinemas. I even havn't a TV.

because of it I am a bit unhappy about that vlc isn't reading Blue-ray disks any more since installation ov dcp-o-matic, as my notebook is for me very important, because I do manage a lot of troubleshouting for cinemas and did use my notebook as well as player in spetial features in a cinema when their player wasn't working at that time. So I am not happy, that something is destroying its functionality. But as well I am not happy to manage the Concert-DCP for my friend, as he want to do a few shows in Cinemas and earn a bit money with it and not only with selling the Disk.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Since I can see no way for DCP-o-matic to break your Blu-Ray playback I think we just have to debug VLC.

Have you tried any other Blu-Ray disks?