Optimizing DCP Conversion

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
uptownwings

Optimizing DCP Conversion

Post by uptownwings »

Hello!

For a small cinema I am working on the conversion of features and some ads. Now I have quite a beefy server that I am feeding the mp4's for conversion, but I do have to say that I expected a bit more fps while converting.
I am running a dual Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3, which gives me 20 physical cores, and 40 threads.
Ram is 32GB.

Now when converting, i get about 9 fps there and about, when DCP-o-matic doesn't have to scale too much. this is on a 1920x1080 (16:9) clip conversion to a FLAT DCP (1998x1080 in 2K mode), with the scale setting on 1.

With this much processing power i'm actually a bit curious as to -why- it's only giving me 9fps conversion rate maximum.
I have tried several things:
use all threads : 40 threads - results in 3 or 4 fps
limit to 20 threads : results in 9 fps

Limiting even more brings the fps down even further.

Is there a way to crank this up a bit? I would be happy with on an about 20fps, which should be possible on this machine in my opinion.

Regards,

Richard.
Carsten

Re: Optimizing DCP Conversion

Post by Carsten »

I assume you use the most recent version of DCP-o-matic?

Your machine should indeed perform MUCH faster than what you report. Did you run the two 'official' Benchmarks?

http://dcpomatic.com/benchmarks/

What OS do you run? When properly configured, DCP-o-matic encoding speed scales nicely with CPU Passmark:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

My dual Xeon 5660 (12coreHT) goes up to 19fps with Bunny, and 15fps with the Sintel Benchmark. When encoding a 'typical' real life Scope BR, I get around 10-12fps. Your machine SHOULD at least be twice as fast.

40-50 threads should be your best setting.

Do you store source and DCP on internal discs or on USB drives?

You could create a log and send it to Carl, he should be able to find out what goes on.

- Carsten