Making 24fps DCP from 25fps ProRes file

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
cloud06

Making 24fps DCP from 25fps ProRes file

Post by cloud06 »

Hey everyone!

I tried converting 25fps QT (ProRes444) to 24fps DCP... I didn't want to conform to 24fps before importing to DOM, because I saw setting video frame rate... So I entered 24fps instead of 25 in timing tab, clicked set button and it displayed exact duration @24fps.

Also, I imported prepared sound and subtitles that were timed to 24fps.

Now I have asynchronous DCP with synced sound and subtitles :) Seems like DOM just dropped some frames from 25fps, to create 24fps... Is this setting used for conforming or I was wrong?

Best,
Tomislav
carl
Site Admin

Re: Making 24fps DCP from 25fps ProRes file

Post by carl »

I tried converting 25fps QT (ProRes444) to 24fps DCP... I didn't want to conform to 24fps before importing to DOM, because I saw setting video frame rate... So I entered 24fps instead of 25 in timing tab, clicked set button and it displayed exact duration @24fps.
This is the wrong way to do it. You should only change this value if DCP-o-matic has detected the content's frame rate incorrectly. Underneath that control should be a message to warn you about this: does it have a good translation in the language you are using?

In your case, DCP-o-matic has correctly read your ProRes file as being 25fps. If you set the DCP frame rate to 24fps it will make a 24fps DCP by playing your video at 24fps and adjusting sound / subtitles to sync.
cloud06

Post by cloud06 »

Oh, so if I have 25fps ProRes and 24fps sound ad titles, it should work without adjusting any settings? Or Do I need to say that my subs and audio are 24?

Thanks for clarification. I was thinking that this is conform option.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Oh, so if I have 25fps ProRes and 24fps sound ad titles, it should work without adjusting any settings? Or Do I need to say that my subs and audio are 24?
Yes, you need to say that your subs and audio are 24. Otherwise it will assume they have been prepared to fit the video that is happening at the same time (i.e. 25fps). Set the subs and audio to 24 in the "timing" panel and it should then work.
cloud06

Post by cloud06 »

Hm, tried everything but somehow it changes framerate of the DCP to 25 automatically... I think it does that while importing files.
Since now I'm in a hurry, I'll just conform to 24fps outside DOM, encode DCP and try to recreate some issues I had to report back with more details :)

Best,
Tomislav
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

OK, let us know when you have the chance to test again. It will set the DCP to 25fps when you import the file (to try to be helpful) but it should let you change DCP to 24fps after this.