Encoding Server comminucation

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
BruceCRT

Encoding Server comminucation

Post by BruceCRT »

I have the Encoding Server app running on another machine to share encoding duties, but DCP-o-matic isn't finding it. I suspect a firewall issue that isn't allowing the two computers/apps to communicate.

This has worked at some point in the past, but stopped working for some unknown reason, guessing after a configuration change.

Is Encoding Server using a TCP/IP port to listen on, and what port would that be?

Bruce
carl
Site Admin

Re: Encoding Server comminucation

Post by carl »

It's TCP/IP port 6192 unless you've hand-edited the config file.
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

I've noticed some very interesting behavior when communicating with encode servers. From one projection room DOM for Windows sees all encode servers currently running on our network. So does DOM for Ubuntu 16.04. But from another room DOM for Windows sees no servers while DOM for Ubuntu sees all. When I manually assign IPs for servers - they are seen and encoding. The settings are of course the same for both versions.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Are all your machines on the same subnet?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Yes, all the machines are on the same subnet.
BruceCRT

Post by BruceCRT »

Mine are on the same subnet, too.

I happened to coincidentally also be setting up another machine, and tried running the server there and it works just fine. I did have to open up ports in the firewall first, but that's the same thing I did on the other server. I plan to re-try the firewall settings later, but keep getting sidetracked with other projects.

Bruce
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

@scorpio81: If they are not auto-discovered but they work if you specify the IPs then something is going wrong with the broadcast packets that are used to find encoding servers. My best guess is that you have a switch / router between the two rooms that is blocking them. Is that possible?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

That is possible. But why does the same version of DOM for Ubuntu with exactly the same settings see encode servers?
P.S. I'll check this with Windows reinstalled a few days ago with old version of DOM and new one.
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

So I have just checked. DOM on reinstalled Windows does see encode servers.