Subtitled dcp does not play subtitles in different theaters

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Alex Asp

Subtitled dcp does not play subtitles in different theaters

Post by Alex Asp »

Here's the situation: I made a test of RTL subtitled trailer using different subtitle files (srt, xml) and different DCP types (interop and SMPTE). All play fine in one theater, but don't play subtitle in another. Both places have DOREMI servers with 2.6.1 version of software, but one (that not showing subtitles) has Christie projectors, and another a few Barcos and NECs. Both places have subtitle engine configured properly, but the results are totally different. No one in this small country knows why, not the projectionists, nor the service/installers guys.
Yet the third place that uses Christie/Dolby DSS 200 combination requires subtitles mirror reversed in order to display them correctly on screen.
Only one theater that has Kinoton/Dolby combination still in use requires burnt- in subtitles.

Sometimes I have the stinking feeling that I am the only guy in the country who tries to understand what's going on and solve the problem.

And to make the situation worse the local subtitling industry produces only interop DCPs with graphic files for subtitles using commercial tools to insure consistent display across the country.
Can you guys please help me resolve it?
IntMarine

Re: Subtitled dcp does not play subtitles in different theaters

Post by IntMarine »

Hi Alex,
Can you be more specific about the age (models) of the various projectors and their software/firmware levels? My guess is that you are pushing an envelop that few have encountered, and what information that exists is not getting down to our level. ...and it likely won't unless you reach out to Dolby for the answers and pass on what you find.

Can those cinemas with problems run the test material at <http://isdcf.com/t/SMPTE-DCP-Tests/>?
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

In case of the first two theaters those are cinematheques and I can check their software/firmware levels. As for the others mentioned it's a cinema chain and I am friendly with their tech guy, so I will get the information eventually and post it here.

I will ask the cinematheques to run the tests. With commercial cinemas it would be much more difficult. They are not really cooperative, mostly out of ignorance and inexplicable fear that if you run something on their precious equipment it will ruin it by definition.

Fortunately I will be opening a new cinema in 3 months time, so there I could run all the tests neded.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Well it seems that the commercial company uses PNG for a reason. You certainly suffer a special case with RTL, but subtitles have always been the step-child of dcinema. Even in LTR countries it only works within very close constraints and only if you keep your server/projector software up-to-date.

Note that PNG is not specified for 4k Interop DCPs, and it may still be problematic for 4k-SMPTE DCPs on various equipment.

- Carsten
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

I have run the test material you suggested on DOREMI/Christie combination, and it displayed the subtitle text included in it just fine. So what gives?
IntMarine

Post by IntMarine »

I think that "what gives" is that you have a great datapoint to start your report, which you need to send to Dolby/Doremi support, and Christie support.

1) RTL test plays well in X and Y and Z in both SMPTE and ISDCF
2) W, which fails the RTL, plays "ISDCF SMPTE DCP Test" correctly

They will definitely need to have the model and software/firmware numbers of the equipment.

Have you run the DCP through dcp_inspect?

Do you want to send the RTL .xml ? You should probably zip in the font file as well. I may be able to test it on a GDC/Barco system tomorrow if I get it in time.