dcp-o-matic 2 crashes

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
kinochest

dcp-o-matic 2 crashes

Post by kinochest »

Hi, apologies if I am ill-informed and vague - I am attempting to create a DCP for the first time.

My problem is that dcp-o-matic 2 continually crashes shortly after starting the creation process.

I am using an 11:30 minute 20gig apple pro res 444 file, linear pcm.

The DCP I'm trying to create is Interlop short, flat, jpeg2000 130mbit/s

I'm currently trying again with a slightly older version 2.8 from April and so far so good - my only concern being that the older version might not produce as reliable a DCP. Any possible reasons and solutions would be much appreciated. Again, apologies if I'm being too vague.

Thanks,
kinochest
carl
Site Admin

Re: dcp-o-matic 2 crashes

Post by carl »

Hi there,

What operating system are you using?

What message do you get when it crashes?
kinochest

Post by kinochest »

Hi Carl,

I'm using an iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5, 4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 32 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 memory.

The message is simply "DCP-o-Matic has quit unexpectedly"
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

When it does that can you click "Report..." then email me the text that is displayed? (to carl@dcpomatic.com)
kinochest

Post by kinochest »

I'll do just that Carl, thanks.

On an unrelated note, I just realized my file is 23.98 and the delivery requirement is 24fps. Any chance dcp-o-matic accounts for that? For audio sync? Or do I need to convert the file to 24fps. My only problem is that I don't think I have time to get a 24fps export of the audio to resync. I'd need to find a way to convert the existing 23.98 proress 444.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

On an unrelated note, I just realized my file is 23.98 and the delivery requirement is 24fps. Any chance dcp-o-matic accounts for that? For audio sync? Or do I need to convert the file to 24fps. My only problem is that I don't think I have time to get a 24fps export of the audio to resync. I'd need to find a way to convert the existing 23.98 proress 444.
DCP-o-matic will fix that.
kalchris

Post by kalchris »

Good morning. Sorry for my English.
And to me it happens from 09/09/16 onwards.
I send EMAIL to report?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Stephen Furley

Post by Stephen Furley »

I have seen the same problem occasionally using Macbook Pro. At present using 2.9.0, but have also seen it with older versions. If it happens again to me I'll send a report, but it doesn't happen very often, once every few months typically.
Stephen Furley

Post by Stephen Furley »

I just had it happen this morning. Building a DCP from an Indian feature film; I don't often do features. Two Macbook Pro laptops, both running 10.10.5 Yosemite. dcp-o-matic version 2.9.0. What is the 'git' number after this? Is it significant?

The encoding server screen shows the following:

Last login: Sun Sep 25 13:45:13 on ttys001
Stephens-MacBook-Pro-2:~ stephenfurley$ /Applications/DCP-o-matic\ 2.app/Contents/MacOS/dcpomatic2_server_cli ; exit;
Send failed; frame 2533
Error: error during async_write (32)
Error: error during async_read (2)
Send failed; frame 2529
Send failed; frame 2530

The failure after just a few thousand frames it typical, but the exact number does vary; the last time it happened after just over three thousand frames.

I'm guessing that this just means that it's lost contact with the host machine.

The host machine said DCP-o-Matic quit unexpectedly.

I restarted the job, this is needed before I go away to Yorkshire in a few days, so I want to have it ready by tomorrow if possible. As every other time that this has happened it has been ok after re-starting. It was only DCP-o-Matic which was re-started; I didn't need to re-start the whole machine' nor did I have to re-start the encoding server.

AS usual, it then ran quickly through the job up to the point where it crashed, then carried on as normal. By re-starting, will I have lost the log, or will it still be there after the job has finished?

Best wishes,

Stephen.