Sound Problems - Making my first DCP

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Mads T

Sound Problems - Making my first DCP

Post by Mads T »

Hi,

I am very new at this so please go easy on me, if this is to much of a noob question.

I´m trying to make a dcp from a Danish blu-ray, but when I´m finished with converting into dcp and playing the movie in the Cinema the problem starts.

I´m using the program "Anymp4 Bluray ripper" for ripping the movie to mkv format, and selecting audio 6channel DTS.

When playing the movie in the cinema, it seems like only the front speakers are playing. The dcp file it is stating 6channel audio. I´m using standart settings in DCP O Matic so I this that might be the problem. Is the sound to low on the other speakers?

Hope someone is able to help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carl
Site Admin

Re: Sound Problems - Making my first DCP

Post by carl »

That graph looks like it should work... can you see the sound processor in the cinema when the DCP Is playing? If so, is there any signal on the non L/R channels?
Mads T

Post by Mads T »

Hi,

I Can se the bars on the equipment mobning a bit but no Sound.. :-)

/Mads
Eriksson

Post by Eriksson »

Good morning Mads.
Just an advice (not really related to your problem): you should lower the audio gain a bit. Use the 'Gain' tab (left in your screenshot). One useful indicator is when the text 'Peak xx.x dB' changes color from red to black.
This is to avoid clipping/cracking/pooping in the cinema sound processor when playing loud passages in the film.
Have you tried playng a channel ID test in the auditorium (left channel, center channel...)?
/M.E.
Mads T

Post by Mads T »

Hi,

When playing any other DCP (Made by pros), our sound system is working like a charm. So I know that I´m doing something wrong... But dont know what?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Well, do you know what kind of signals come out of the surround channels of this movie?
Very often, surrounds are used only subtly.

Install Audacity with the FFMPEG plugin. You can open the Audio MXF in your DCP directly with Audacity. You will see your DCPs individual audio channels as separate tracks, watch them and listen to them individually to find out what they actually contain.

- Carsten
Mads T

Post by Mads T »

Have been trying to use the program suggested, but dont really know what I´m doing (Sorry)

Am I on the right track when "Importing Raw data" and the program is working for one houer?

Carsten, Are you Danish,? - maby I should give you a call if your up for that?
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Mads - I'm german.

You need to install Audacity first. I'm using the Mac version most of the time, but I do this on my Windows machine just as well.

FFMPEG support is a separate install for Audacity, as is the LAME MPEG library:

http://lame.buanzo.org/

Or, if you trust me, this is a direct link:

http://lame3.buanzo.com.ar/ffmpeg-win-2.2.2.zip
http://lame3.buanzo.com.ar/ffmpeg-mac-2.2.2.zip

After you installed FFMPEG support (Audacity preferences->Libraries), you will be able to open MXF audio files from the normal file open dialog. The same FFMPEG will also allow you to open the audio tracks from your Bluray RIP (e.g. open an MKV file), so you can easily compare what happens between your source footage and final DCP.

- Carsten