23,98 footage - Do I have a problem?

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Seanzzxx

23,98 footage - Do I have a problem?

Post by Seanzzxx »

Kind people -

First of all, let me say DCP-o-matic is awesome, it lets beginning filmmakers like me deliver films in DCP format and it works like a charm. Having said that, I think I might have messed up and wonder how big the trouble on my hands is.

I have a project which was filmed in 23,976 needs to be delivered in DCP. Do I have a problem with the audio syncing if I do the DCP at 24 frames? Should I render out the original project (in Resolve) at 24fps and will the audio then speed up automatically? I assume a pitch shift is unneccesary at those speeds?

Thank you guys so much.

P.s. is there any way to predict the file-size, based on the original file's size for example?
carl
Site Admin

Re: 23,98 footage - Do I have a problem?

Post by carl »

I have a project which was filmed in 23,976 needs to be delivered in DCP. Do I have a problem with the audio syncing if I do the DCP at 24 frames? Should I render out the original project (in Resolve) at 24fps and will the audio then speed up automatically? I assume a pitch shift is unneccesary at those speeds?
No problem, DCP-o-matic will make a 24fps DCP and sync the sound by running it slightly fast. You don't need to do anything.
P.s. is there any way to predict the file-size, based on the original file's size for example?
The DCP's size is mostly the video, whose bitrate is specified in the DCP tab in Mbit/s. Hence you can get a rough estimate from that. e.g. 1 hour is 3600 seconds which at 100Mbit/s is 3600 x 100 / 8 megabytes i.e. about 45Gb.
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

No problem there - DOM will conform your image frame rate to 24fps and apply a slight resampling to the audio to make it fit.

File size estimation is virtually impossible - unless all you want to know is a very rough estimate.

The compression datarate you specifiy in DOM does not translate straight into a filesize.

While many people say they see no improvement in higher rates than 150MBit/s, I usually do not bother much and always use 230MBit/s. That's safe for all equipment in use, and I don't care if I waste some space. Effective data rate depends highly on image resolution/container size and image high frequency content. The only reason you would want to play around with this is if for some reason you need to meet a hard target, like a special size/capacity of USB stick/SSD for instance. Then you simply need to test, or create e.g. three different versions at different settings and see which fits best.

- Carsten
Seanzzxx

Post by Seanzzxx »

Thank you guys so much for the swift replies, it really means a lot. Are there any problems with frame interpolation or ghosting that I have to worry about with this framerate change?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

No, the video frames stay exactly the same, they just happen more often. The sound is resampled but the effects of this are inaudible unless you are really trying.
Seanzzxx

Post by Seanzzxx »

Thank you so much for the reply. One completely different question - our movie is 2:1 aspect ratio (yeah, we're stubborn...). Would I be correct in assuming that we would have to deliver this within the 1.85:1 aspect ratio and just accept the slightly smaller frame?
scorpio81

Post by scorpio81 »

Hi.
Doing some calculations reveals that Flat container is the best choice.
Look for yourself: 2:1 AR will be 1716x858 in Scope and 1998x999 in Flat. So Flat will have slightly higher resolution.
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It might also be worth noting that if a cinema has a common-height screen your 2:1 may look a little better if you put it into a Scope container. It would just be 1.85 but a little wider.

Unfortunately if the cinema has common height I think using Scope for your 2:1 will make things even worse...

So it probably depends on whether you are playing in one venue or many.
Seanzzxx

Post by Seanzzxx »

Thank you guys so much for the advice. One final (hopefully) question: can I make a DCP from a Prores file on Windows?
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Yes, that should work fine.