Refer to existing DCP - Grayed out

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
aarrnnoo

Refer to existing DCP - Grayed out

Post by aarrnnoo »

Hi
I created a DCP with openDCP.
Now I need a version with English subs, and one with French subs.
So I downloaded DCP-o-matic to get a DCP VF for the subtitles (as you can't do this with openDCP).
For some reason when I import the DCP, "refer to existing DCP" stays grayed out. I can watch the movie, no errors with it, and it is recognized as a DCP.
Any way to fix it? Or should I re-encode the movie with DCP-o-matic and try if it will work then?

Thanks
Carsten

Re: Refer to existing DCP - Grayed out

Post by Carsten »

Usually there should be a hint given to you when you hover with the mouse over the 'refer to existing DCP' checkbox - mostly this should help finding the cause.

Did you add just the MXF files from OpenDCP, or the full DCP folder?

A typical reason why you can't reference a video track (but an audio track) is different resolution/container type, e.g. if you have your DCP project set/default to flat, but your DCP to reference is scope, or vice versa. The tooltip will indicate this, though. Another reason could be SMPTE/Interop mismatch between project and referenced DCP.

So, after creating a new project, load your DCP, then adjust DCP settings accordingly.

In theory, what you are trying to do should work. However, I would advise to create a new OV by reusing (import) the OpenDCP MXF files. This will go without re-encoding, it is just a re-wrap. Create a proper DCNC name with an _OV at the end. Then create the new subtitled VFs by referencing from THAT OV DCP. That will keep packages and names consistent.

http://isdcf.com/dcnc/home/illustrated- ... ntion.html

Don't mix Interop and SMPTE, however. If your OpenDCP DCP is SMPTE, OV rewrap and VFs all need to be SMPTE as well. Or, all Interop.

- Carsten