Could not make DCP: missing required setting name

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

i deleted preferences to start from scratch with version 2.10.5 after trying a test version 2.11.16, and now Iam getting this error message while trying to create a DCP.
It doesn't matter what files I feed DOM (video,audio, subtitles), sometimes it creates a DCP and sometimes it present me with this error message:

What could go wrong and how to make DOM to work again?
Carsten

Re: Could not make DCP: missing required setting name

Post by Carsten »

Which OS? Did you actually delete the preferences in 'Explorer', or did you choose to reset prefs in DOM under 'Tools'?

Not that it should make a difference...

http://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch17.html

Did you load a previous project/metadata file, or did you create one from scratch in 2.10.5? I haven't seen that error before, but I could imagine it comes up if you open a metadata file in 20.10.5 that has been created in 2.11.x

- Carsten
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Hi Carsten,

I am on the Mac OS 10.12.6, so I have deleted the preferences folder.
But I think I might have found what causes the error. Under DCP tab the name field was left empty. Once I put the film's name there, everything went back to normal.

Alex
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hmm, I recently switched between 2.10.5 and 2.11.x OS X frequently, never experienced that. Usually the DCP name is built automatically from the project name when you create a new project.

Hmm, I lied - I must have seen that error message before, because when I just tried to recreate the issue by simply erasing the CPL name under the DCP tab, I saw my own german translation for this error ;-) However, having translated an error message does not necessarily mean I fully understood it at the time ;-)

So, this has nothing to do with prefs or release/test version it seems.

This error could be understood better if it used segmenting - it doesn't mean 'missing required setting name', it means 'missing required setting: name'.

'name' internally comes from a variable and can be different things, depending on what is missing.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi all,

This is a pretty confusing error message :? I've changed my local copy so that DCP-o-matic will use a default name rather than giving the error you saw.

Cheers, Carl
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

I know another free DCP software :mrgreen: that simply defaults to 'DCP'. However, as at that point, a project name has to been set, it is probably safe as well to use that (or a suitable abbreviation).

- Carsten