JPEG2000 bandwidth setting for commercial cinema

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
swirfelt

Re: JPEG2000 bandwidth setting for commercial cinema

Post by swirfelt »

carl, I have uploaded the full crash report here. Don't know if it's any use.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oi0njtb5mngeq ... t.rtf?dl=0
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Hi, the crash report is indeed helpful: thanks for sending it. I am hopeful that your crash is fixed in the current test version which you can get from here. Perhaps you could try that and let us know how you get on?
swirfelt

Post by swirfelt »

Thanks for the new version. I downloaded and installed. Had the same results unfortunately!
Link to the crash report https://www.dropbox.com/s/k3ahbhnlkq3hn ... 2.rtf?dl=0
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Hi swirfelt - you said you switched to your mothers Mac Book Pro with 10.11 - which system/OS X version did you use before?

What drive are you creating the DCP on - is it an internal (HFS+) or external drive?

Maybe try to create a test DCP first using the SINTEL trailer

http://dcpomatic.com/benchmarks/contributing

Although I guess Carl would have seen already from the crash reports wether it's source file related or no?.

- Carsten
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

It's a weird mac-only bug that several people have seen. I'm working on a fix...
EDDEE

Post by EDDEE »

I would be more concerned with the quality of your original video than bit rate. For my content depending on the original I use between 60 to 100 Mbps on the GDC system I see no quality difference between my intro and the feature at 230 Mbps.
marcogiustini

Post by marcogiustini »

Hi carsten

Which servers do not handle 250? My understanding is that any server would deal with 250 as that's the maximum for DCI. Green flashes have appeared in the past as some software would allow some frames to be over that spec (at the time it was a software bug of the mastering station) causing the Doremi decoder to crash with a green flash - Dolby servers were happy up to 500 even before the IMB came out.

Just curious :)

Thanks
swirfelt

Post by swirfelt »

EDDEE wrote:I would be more concerned with the quality of your original video than bit rate. For my content depending on the original I use between 60 to 100 Mbps on the GDC system I see no quality difference between my intro and the feature at 230 Mbps.
Not much I can do about that, shooting on Canon 5D mk2 on the highest quality. However, the intermediate format (out of Premier into DCP-o-matic) is ProRes 422 with a bitrate of about 100.

I'm testing the DCPs I've managed to create at a local cinema on Tuesday. Will be interesting to see how they look. I've still not managed to do one with higher bitrate than 80mbit/sec but will be able to compare it with the ProRes file and h.264.
Will report back!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

I've tried again to fix your crash in 2.9.12 ... I'd be interested to hear if that's any better. Thanks!
swirfelt

Post by swirfelt »

Cheers for the new version. I will download and have a look tonight! Report to follow.

I took the dcps I've managed to create to the cinema today and they played really well on their 4K projector. We only tested the 80mbit/s file and it looked really good. Perhaps a little washed out in the colours but is probably due to my lack in post-prod skills rather than the bitrate.

I'm very pleased!

And funnily enough it turns out that the cinema itself uses DCP-o-matic themselves if they need to convert files!