View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0001607||DCP-o-matic||[All Projects] Bugs||public||2019-09-20 00:43||2019-10-22 23:53|
|Platform||Mac||OS||OS X||OS Version||10.12|
|Target Version||2.14.11||Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0001607: Inconsistency in calculation of Position, TrimStart and TrimEnd in metadata.xml|
My understanding is that
But is that the frame rate of the content or the DCP?
Using a video file which is 23.98fps (well 24000/1001fps), when I set Position, Trim Start and Trim End all to 10 frames, with DCP being made at 24fps, I get the following values in
And if DCP frame rate is set to 25fps:
It appears that TrimStart is calculated off frame rate of content, TrimEnd off frame rate of DCP.
Is this the intended behavior? And if not, would it cause the content to be trimmed incorrectly?
i.e value of TrimEnd depends on whether you set Trim before or after setting the DCP frame rate.
I ask all this for a couple of reasons:
One other question: If you have two pieces of video content overlapping, i.e. Position of 2nd content is less than where 1st content ends, what will happen? Will DCP-o-matic correct it, ignore it, or may it lead to unpredictable behavior? Obviously this will never happen if you're using the GUI, but if you're editing
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Estimated weeks required|
|Estimated work required||Undecided|
As you say, the times are stored in seconds multipled by 96000, so a time of 96000 is 1 second.
Position is stored at the DCP rate.
Also, when you set position it is rounded to the nearest DCP frame boundary.
I think this explains why you are seeing the differences in position depending on the DCP rate.
Finally, it looks like there's a bug where it uses the DCP frame rate (rather than the content one)
As to the overlapping thing; I'm not sure. I suspect it may lead to problems but we can test it and work that stuff out if you need.
Does that make sense?
Thanks. That does make sense.
Can you clarify one thing: Is the bug you mention the reason why I'm seeing TrimEnd of 40000/38400 for 10 frames (rather than 40040)?
Also, two other related questions, if you have time to explain:
Overlapping: I was only asking as I'm worried with my miscalculations of Trim etc, I might have done this by accident. If I can figure out the correct values for trim fields, this will be a non-issue. We've checked all DCPs we've made with non-24/25fps content and not seen any glitches as yet.
Sorry, one last question:
To work around TrimEnd bug (it only seems to apply to TrimEnd, not TrimStart, as far as I can see):
Put another way: Is the bug just in the DCP-o-matic GUI writing miscalculated trimEnd values, or does the encoder also have same bug and therefore will miscalculate where to cut the content when reading the TrimEnd field? I assume the former, but just want to make sure.
I know this is all severe nit-picking. I just want to get it exactly right to avoid any glitches due to overlapping content.
I think so, yes.
It's just about the number of frames.
<Length> is in samples. So for a 48kHz file 1 second would be 48000; for a 96kHz file it would be 96000.
Yes, I would do this. It's just the GUI writing incorrect values.
Thanks for all the answers.
Would you be willing to merge the bug fix for trim calculation into stable branch and make a release? (feel free to say no - I have no idea how much work it is to cut a release, or whether you fear this change might have other knock-on effects and so don't want to merge into stable yet)
I think that would be fine. I am still without a build server for another few days (or could be longer) so I can't do it immediately.
OK great. Thank you.
By the way, have you considered building in the cloud using something like Travis CI? It's free for open source. Maybe something I could help with if you wanted to try it.
I'll have a look at travis. I didn't know it was free...
I had a go with travis. A build for even one Linux target overran their 50 minute limit, so I think that's a no-go.
Thanks very much for including this in stable release. I'll give it a go and see if I can fix my trimming malfunctions!
I had no idea DCP-o-matic build would take so long. 50 mins+ is crazy. Sorry that was a red herring with Travis.
|2019-09-20 00:43||overlookmotel||New Issue|
|2019-09-20 08:24||carl||Assigned To||=> carl|
|2019-09-20 08:24||carl||Status||new => feedback|
|2019-09-20 08:24||carl||Note Added: 0003417|
|2019-09-20 13:18||overlookmotel||Note Added: 0003418|
|2019-09-20 13:18||overlookmotel||Status||feedback => assigned|
|2019-09-20 13:21||overlookmotel||Note Added: 0003419|
|2019-09-20 13:32||overlookmotel||Note Added: 0003420|
|2019-09-20 19:30||carl||Note Added: 0003421|
|2019-09-25 12:51||overlookmotel||Note Added: 0003435|
|2019-09-25 20:11||carl||Note Added: 0003436|
|2019-09-26 13:05||overlookmotel||Note Added: 0003437|
|2019-09-27 21:09||carl||Note Added: 0003438|
|2019-09-28 08:03||carl||Priority||normal => urgent|
|2019-09-28 08:03||carl||Target Version||=> 2.14.x|
|2019-10-03 23:20||carl||Note Added: 0003445|
|2019-10-14 15:28||carl||Target Version||2.14.x => 2.14.11|
|2019-10-14 15:28||carl||Status||assigned => resolved|
|2019-10-14 15:28||carl||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2019-10-22 23:53||overlookmotel||Note Added: 0003494|