Multiple Subtitles

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
gwenniggles

Multiple Subtitles

Post by gwenniggles »

Hello!

Trying to understand DCP creation and subtitling within them. Is it best to only create OV dcps and use a new VF for each language? Is it possible to create a DCP from the beginning with 3 selectable languages? The "stream" selection is always grayed out, what am I missing?

On a similar note, when I add an SRT track that starts at 01 hour I can't seem to get it to display on video after shifting it in the timeline view to line up with the video. Also in the timed text window, if I change the start position to 00 hours it still does not show over video. Not sure how to set the settings to align the srt and video.

G
Carsten

Re: Multiple Subtitles

Post by Carsten »

Cinema players can not select between multiple Onscreen Captions. You need to create a VF for every single language, based on a common OV.

Why does the SRT start at 1hr if the content doesn't?

https://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch06s06.html

I also suggest you create some OV and VF combos and try them in the player to gain confidence. Did you know you can create subtitles over no (black/silent) video/audio content within seconds, and they make 100% compliant DCPs for testing?
gwenniggles

Post by gwenniggles »

Hello Carsten!

Thank you for the info. Good to know that Cinema players have to use VF packages to add additional subtitle languages. Guessing that closed captions can join 1 open caption track per VF then too.

I exported the SRT and Prores from Resolve. But looks like the .mov starts at 0 hr and the srt at 1hr. I just changed the starting TC in resolve timeline to 0 hr and now it lines up immediately.

What's the advantage of quickly creating subtitles over black? Just for testing the subtitles work? Or is there another use?

Thank you!
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

Closed captions can actually have multiple languages. That's because patrons may have portable devices on which they may select between different languages. I have seen bilingual open captions - but then both languages will always display together (e.g. in separate lines).

Creating subtitles with no video/audio is just for quick testing, or creating simple text messages (e.g. intermission slides).