Outline size on subtitle

Anything and everything to do with DCP-o-matic.
Alex Asp

Re: Outline size on subtitle

Post by Alex Asp »

First of all, why are you trying to do the SUP? Render it as Digital Cinema SMPTE 2010 xml.

Works for me like a charm every time. Keeps various subtitle positions, renders outline and shadow, applies any color to any subtitle, not just the whole range. Uses the font defined by you in DOM by including the font itself into XML file. AFAIAK my life with DOM has never been better.
In fact I have recently switched to using it completely in my workflow.

Alex
Anders M Olsson

Post by Anders M Olsson »

Alex Asp wrote:Render it as Digital Cinema SMPTE 2010 xml.
That's what I normally do. However, I've come across some rare situations where the cinema system plain refuses to display any subtitles, or displays them completely out of sync. That's why I'd like to have an extra version with burnt-in subtitles "up my sleeve" for use in case of emergency.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

You can use XML to burn it in.
In fact I do create two versions. One with XML, and another with burnt-in subtitles. I have both versions on the same disk just in case.
Anders M Olsson

You certainly can, but that was my original problem: The burnt-in subtitles don't look so good in my opinion. And, yes, they were made from an XML-file.

That's why I was trying some alternative way (blu-ray sup) of attacking the problem.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

If that is the case, I suggest you create subtitled Blu-ray disc or image, import M2TS file in DOM and use the subtitle stream only. This way the subtitle created for blu-ray will be graphically preserved.
I used to do that about a year ago, prior to the version 2 of DOM
Carsten

Post by Carsten »

It's true that the rendered outline is very thin. Maybe Carl can find means to create a thicker outline. I don't know wether it's possible to make this user selectable (XML/timed text does not offer this option, so it would only be available for burn-in subs).

Maybe you can upload some screenshots/fotos to demonstrate the issue. Yes, the outline is thin, but it doesn't break anything visually as far as I can see.

- Carsten
Anders M Olsson

Thanks, Alex. That's an idea I never thought of. I will try that.
Alex Asp

Post by Alex Asp »

Here's the subtitle rendered in SE for Blu-ray image, which then used in DOM for burnt-in subtitles. As you can see the outline is about 5 pixels if I am not mistaken, and it renders beautifully in the DCP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anders M Olsson

Yes, that actually works!

With ffmpeg, I made a black video of the same length as the original DCP and muxed it as an .M2TS with Blu-ray subtitles from Subtitle Edit.

There doesn't seem to be any way to disable the Blu-ray video separately from the subtitles in DOM, but it still seems to work.

I wonder if the slightly greenish appearance of the subtitles is just a result of the PCs RGB color conversion? Perhaps it will look white when played back on a real cinema system?

It's strange that DOM will happily accept Blu-ray subtitles when muxed with a video file, but not a SUP-file on its own!
carl
Site Admin

Post by carl »

Perhaps you could give version 2.9.10 a try and see if you think the subtitle outlining is better on burn-in.