21st June 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.15 was released.
This version adds one new feature: an experimental option to export in Prores 4444.
It also fixes some bugs in the disk writer which would result in drives being written that would fail checks with
e2fsck and similar tools. The data on the written disks should be readable, but there were errors in how the unused portion of the disk was written.
There is one other small bug fix to improve the match between subtitle sizing in the preview and the final DCP.
Download it from here.
12th June 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.14 was released.
This version adds a few new small features:
- Look on the host system to find fonts requested by text subtitle files (#2264).
- Allow sending KDMs to more email addresses (#2244).
- Preserve export video settings in the config (#2259).
and also fixes some bugs:
- Fix invalid subtitles in DCPs in some cases when multiple overlapping source subtitle files exist (#2268).
- Fix incorrect burnt-in subtitle colours when burning into a DCP source (#2261).
- Fix strange multi-selection behaviour on Linux (#2269).
- Fix some cases in the disk writer where errors could happen but not be reported.
- Make jump-to-first-subtitle also work with DCP subs.
- Improve accuracy of subtitle font sizing.
- Make subtitle asset filename obey custom settings (#2260).
- Fix some crashes when audio output is disabled / unavailable.
- Hide audio sample rate option in DCP panel unless the advanced option is enabled.
Download it from here.
26th May 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.13 was released.
This release only fixes some dependency errors on Ubuntu 22.04, and some slightly strange behaviour in the command-line client.
Download it from here.
22nd May 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.12 was released.
This release fixes some bugs:
- Crash on using OpenGL rendering on macOS (#2258).
- Error when loading encrypted DCPs into the main DCP-o-matic or the player (#2257).
- Audio fades not stored in templates (#2254).
- Errors on auto-crop in some cases.
- Failure to build on Debian 9.
Download it from here.
1st May 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.10 was released.
This release has several bug fixes:
- Fix hanging subtitles in some cases (#2239).
- Fix failure to play files which contain multiple streams marked as video (#2238).
- Display encrypted content as black when we have no key (#2234).
- Fix incorrect country codes in ISDCF names in some cases (#2235).
There are also some new features:
- Builds added for Ubuntu 22.04 and Fedora 36.
- There is (currently quite simple) new tool: the “DCP-o-matic Editor”, which allows editing of some DCP metadata.
- DCP digest files are created when a DCP is made (#2109).
- Primitive auto-crop (#1477).
- Add option to save a player frame to a file (#2133).
- Basic display of markers above the playback timeline (#1921).
- Add button to use same fades for audio as video (#2230).
- An asterix (
*) is put in the title bar when the DCP-o-matic project is modified (#1938).
- Allow 96kHz audio as an advanced option (#1789).
Download it from here.
25th March 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.8 was released. This release has several bug fixes:
- Remove erroneous
<Duration> tags from
<MainMarkers> sections (#2215).
- Fix incorrect errors when resolving assets in some cases (#2221).
- Fix error about over-full buffers when previewing projects with audio delays (#2217).
- Fix sorting of cinemas in some locales (#2208).
- Fix UTF-8 encoding of email subjects and attachment names (#2207).
- Fix writing KDMs with long filenames on Windows.
- Fix some assertion failures in the KDM creator.
- Make the value used for
f in KDM names consistent (#1657).
- Fix the sensitivity of the custom scale edit button.
and some new features:
- Subtitle XML is now more ‘prettily’ formatted, to avoid problems with some projection systems that presumably depend on line breaks in the XML (#2205).
- Screens to make KDMs for are chosen by checkboxes, separate from the selection.
- There is a new preference to set the default KDM type.
$CINEMA_SHORT_NAME can now be used as a variable for use in KDM emails.
- The states of the write to/email checkboxes in the KDM creator are remembered across runs (#2213).
Download it from here.
9th March 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.5 was released. This release contains three bug fixes:
- Fix errors when home directory paths contain non-US-English characters on Windows (#2203).
- Fix incorrect automatic routing of sound files to channels in some cases (#2204).
- Remove non-existant option from the
Download it from here.
25th February 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.16.4 was released.
New features and major changes
- New “Disk Writer” tool to create DCP drives in EXT2 format from any platform (in beta test).
- Add builds for ARM / Apple Silicon (M1) processors.
- New “Combiner” tool to combine multiple DCPs into one (#1245).
- Various improvements to the stability and speed of the OpenGL renderer.
- Option to ignore video parts of files (#1355 and others).
- Option to set video range (JPEG/MPEG) (#1509).
- Basic handling of overlapping video (#1848).
- Support for CPL metadata and markers.
- Improved DCP verification in the player, and accompanying
dcpomatic2_verify command-line tool.
- Compliance with most of the SMPTE DCP Bv2.1 Application Profile.
- New playlist (SPL) editor for the player.
- Basic subtitle export feature.
- Calculate LEQ(m) when analysing audio.
- Add an output audio matrix (#1482).
- Add a new “Add DKDM” dialogue (#1637).
- Support download of certificates from Qube (#1460).
- Allow export with one audio stream per channel.
- Allow specification of audio forensic marking (in KDMs) for some channels only. Default to enabling forensic marking for video and audio (up to and including channel 12) (#1498).
- Checksum network encode requests and replies to protect against network corruption (#1381).
- Allow more complete control over the libdcp/DCP-o-matic metadata written to various places.
- Add Bob Weaver Deinterlacing Filter (bwdif).
Operating system support
From this version onwards, DCP-o-matic no longer supports:
- macOS versions 10.7 (Lion) or earlier.
- Windows XP.
If you need to use one of these operating systems please use the 2.14.59 version of DCP-o-matic.
- Re-work scaling following excellent insights by Carsten Kurz, described on #1669. Now the scaling of video content is guessed based on its aspect ratio (taking into account pixel aspect ratio) and there is a "custom" option for overriding incorrectly-marked-up content or content which actually needs its shape to be changed.
- Add a new "Advanced settings" dialog for content, accessible from the right-click menu. Move the "use video" checkbox into here, as it feels like excessive clutter to have it in the main video panel.
- Add subtitle analysis so that the outline of all subtitles in a piece of content can be overlaid onto the preview (#1233).
- Add playhead line to timeline (#1563).
- Add option to set project properties from a DCP loaded as content (#1688).
- Avoid unnecessary re-writes of video assets if they are staying the same (#1638).
- Clicking on the audio graph jumps to that position in the film (#1507).
- Put the timecode next to the rewind-to-0 button to help avoid mouse-slips (#1234).
- Allow > 0dB gain per channel in the audio matrix (#1720).
- Add some new keyboard shortcuts for moving around on the timeline.
- Remove the ISDCF metadata dialogue box (#1929); all metadata is now set in the “Metadata” dialogue.
- Fix the initial folder to something sensible when adding content.
- Remember the path used for "add files" (#2049).
cs_CZ translation from Tomáš Begeni.
de_DE translation from Uwe Dittes.
es_ES translation from Manuel AC.
it_IT translation from Riccardo Mantani and Fabrizio Carraro.
nl_NL translation from Rob van Nieuwkerk.
sv_SE translation from Mattias Mattsson and Adam Klotblixt.
zh_CN translation from Kahn Li.
ru_RU translation from Михаил Эпштейн.
pl_PL translation from Michał Tomaszewski.
Crash / error fixes
- Fix deadlock when changing CPL in the player (#1827).
- Fix problems with very long filenames on Windows (#1755).
- Stop error messages hiding behind the splash screen on Windows.
- Fix crash with some color attributes in Subrip files.
- Fix crash on dragging timeline content in some cases.
- Potential fix for assertion failures in audio buffers during analysis in some cases (#1568).
- Don't crash if history items are inaccessible.
- Fix crash when exporting a 2D project containing 3D content (#1680).
- Fix hangs when changing CPL in the player (#1905).
- Stop crashing when running the hints check on films with silent/black gaps.
- Potential fix for errors related to info files (#1618).
- Try to ignore exceptions thrown from
- Ignore and report failures to decode frames during playback, rather than crashing (#1593).
- Clarify some error messages on macOS (#1837).
- Fix error when cancelling load of a trusted device certificate.
- Fix error when finding missing content.
- Fix hang on loading a KDM during playback.
- Fix assertion failure in AudioBuffers::copy_from() (#1909).
- Don't crash if the first packet in a stream has AV_NOPTS_VALUE; instead, assume it should be at timestamp 0.
- Fix assertion failures in
- Fix download of IMS3000 certificates.
- Fix for -114 errors during 3D encodes (#2173).
- Fix AppImage builds on systems with glib version > 2.68 (#2129).
- Fix trimming of ATMOS MXFs.
- Fix buffer errors when playing back projects containing missing files.
- Fix various problems with job priority in the batch converter.
- Fix errors when referencing trimmed DCPs (#2116).
- Fix errors when trimming or seeking through some files, and when making DCPs (#2035).
- Don't give an error code on a language code of
U8 in binary STL files (#2036).
Output correctness fixes
- Create signing certificates whose validity starts a week before DCP-o-matic's installation, so that they are less likely to start too late for a KDM that we make (#1422).
- Fix missing burnt subtitles in some rare cases (#1581).
- Fix incorrect video range on exported files.
- Fix incorrect images when cropping without stretch.
- Fix exported videos with imprecise framerates (e.g. 24.01 rather than 24) in some cases (#1663).
- Fix handling of subtitles at reel boundaries.
- Try to fix no-stretch / no-scale for non-square pixels (#1636).
- Prevent the creation of KDMs with validity periods that lie outside the validity of the signing certificates.
- Hopefully fix incorrect bitmapped subtitle colours.
- Fix reel setup when the last reel is less than 1 second long.
- Use XX as an audio language when there is no specified audio language (#1939).
- Fix incorrect parsing and creation of IDs for PNG subtitles (#1965).
- Fix mis-timed ASS-formatted subtitles embedded in video files, in some cases.
- Fix ordering of closed captions on some devices (e.g. Captiview) (#2106).
- Basic and slightly inaccurate support for in subtitles (#2103).
- Potentially fix intermittently failing audio sync on exports (#2098).
- Don't ignore font settings for DCP subtitles (#2074).
- Don't scale chroma subsampled images to sizes that don't align with the subsampling (#1872).
- Fix SMPTE subtitle XML namespaces (#2061).
- Fix incorrect output DCPs when using a scaled-down DCP as the content (#2086).
- Fix failure to re-make DCPs after changing the "re-encode J2K" setting.
- Fix missing subtitles embedded in files decoded by FFmpeg (#2060).
- Don't write empty
<Text> nodes in subtitles/closed captions.
- Allow specifying and writing sign language video language metadata (#2062).
- Fix rendering of HTML entities in subtitles in some cases.
- Fix channel assignment in SMPTE audio MXFs (#2062).
- Fix incorrect timestamps when exporting as reels (#2052).
- Fix incorrect issuer/creator in CPL files.
- Possible fix for various causes of audio/video sync problems in DCPs.
- Fix periods of black between trimmed content in the preview.
- Fix missing subtitles/captions in the player after changing the CPL.
- Use content video frame rate rather than the DCP one when reading trim start/end back from the UI. See #1607.
- DCP-o-matic is usable in macOS ‘dark’ mode.
- DCP-o-matic should no longer create reels shorter than 1 second.
- Sort cinemas / screens better in the KDM dialog (#1904).
- Fix disappearing preview video on changing CPL in some cases (#1641).
- Ignore video streams with frame rates over 1000 (work-around/fix for #1585).
- Flush audio decoder when a DCPDecoder finishes so that resamplers are emptied and hence we don't lose any samples. Fixes #1691.
- Fix timeline selection under scroll.
- Re-fix problems with multiple root node namespaces.
- ISDCF name fixes with > 6 channels and HI/VI (#1633).
- Prevent player folding audio to 2 channel if ‘default DCP audio channels’ is set to 2.
- Keep the computer awake when doing exports and hash computations.
- Fix VF creation with gaps between content.
- Keep default export name even if the user changes the format (#1584).
- Prevent reference/reel setting controls getting stuck when referenced content is moved with reel mode 'single' enabled (#1645).
- Set fade in/out using content frame rate rather than DCP rate (#1642).
dcpomatic_create now responds to
- Fix layout bug where the stuff in the content panel would be completely hidden in some cases (seen on Linux only, I think).
- Apply fader-based gain calculations to the current gain, not 0dB.
- Various fixes to the layout when using a GTK3 backend on Linux.
- Various fixes for bugs when using Atmos content.
- Fix vertical alignment with subrip and embedded SSA an codes.
- Content changes should mark the film dirty (#1810).
- Try to improve splitter behaviour when shrinking and then enlarging the main window (#1839).
- Various fixes to the playlist editor.
- Fix failure to update player information when changing CPLs.
- Fix playhead position after trim-up-to (#1847).
--standard flag to dcpomatic2_cli (github #9).
- Fix transcode finish time estimations when re-encoding a DCP (#1863).
- Fix Christie certificate download when first try fails.
- Fix incorrectly-sized timeline toolbar icons on macOS (#1927).
- Fix confusing audio matrix when using some processors (#1945).
- Be more tolerant of unusual PKL asset types (#1966).
- Fix errors when adding KDMs to VFs before adding the OV.
- Adjusting crop while the preview is playing should now be much faster (#1758).
- Complain on startup if signer or decryption chains are inconsistent (#1520).
- Copy with progress updates when we might copy long files (#1574).
- Use a stricter and more helpful dialogue box when specifying languages for subtitles and audio.
- Give a better error when opening a DCP with File -> Open by mistake (#1723).
- Add export button for DKDMs (#1510).
- Better progress reporting during DCP validation (#1812).
- Add support for Datasat AP2x and USL sound processors when converting fader position to gain. Stop storing a chosen processor in config; instead, get the user to choose the processor when calculating gains.
- Use ISDCF name as a default export filename (#1584).
- Add noise to very small J2K frames in an effort to work-around playback failures on DSS-200 (#1902).
- Remove the ‘simple’ UI as it seemed to cause more problems than it solved.
- Trim after _ in current name when enabling ‘Use ISDCF name’ (#1513).
- Hide passwords in text fields.
- Enable multi-threaded decoding with FFmpeg (helps with #1887).
- Make player more tolerant of some DCP errors.
- Try to warn if we're running the 32-bit version on 64-bit windows (WoW64) (#1569).
- Give an error if 2D content is set to 3D (#1565). Also run 3D tests with more parallel jobs to speed them up.
- Hide the upmixers unless an "advanced" configuration option is ticked.
- Allow configuration of relevant log levels in the player (#1549).
- Move credentials settings into certificate download dialogue (#1480).
- Tweak certificate chain dialogue layout (#1530).
- Make the 'why not' messages for VF creation a bit clearer.
- Warn if doing a gain calculation might cause clipping.
- Try to give a better error when we fail to start J2K encoding (probably because of a lack of addressable RAM).
- Put current frame position in seek-by-frame (and current time in seek-by-timecode) dialogues when opening them (#1736).
- Don't offer full-frame containers unless 'allow any container' is enabled.
- Give better error messages when the user makes mistakes with KDMs (#1161).
- Move upload-DCP-to-TMS button to preferences.
- Remove encryption key options (#1760).
- Always sign DCPs (#1760).
- Move video filters controls into advanced content dialogue (#1748).
- Add new macOS preferences icons.
- Move video frame rate override into advanced prefs (#1852).
- Accept serial numbers with A prefix entered by user.
- Confirm removal of cinemas and screens.
- Select newly-added cinemas.
- In a DCP with any subs/CCAPs, make sure every reel has them (#1340).
- Write subtitles and closed captions to a test DCP in the hints thread, then check the result for Bv2.1 violations (part of #1800).
- Add some hints for violations of SMPTE Bv2.1 with subtitles and closed captions.
- Include creator/issuer in default name of exported KDM decryption key (#1888).
- Force .pem extension when saving certificates.
- Add some default filenames to the advanced certificate/key export dialogues (#1888).
- Tell user we need a KDM when we have none, and content is encrypted.
- Add version information to splash screen (#1913).
- Fix confusing error on trying to load a DoM project into the player (#1948).
- Show an explanatory message if the player is not performing very well (#1932).
--twok option to
- Allow user to add .ttc (TrueType collection) font files.
- Improve config file backup where the user has specified their own config file path.
- Ignore .AppleDouble folders inside DCPs.
- Make CLI-only builds for Debian and Ubuntu.
- Add defaults for facility, studio, chain, distributor (#2075).
- Give markers dialog a close button (#2070).
- Fix flickering black square when selecting content on Windows (#1866).
- Rename ProRes export format to MOV / ProRes (#2067).
- Ignore HMAC discrepencies when reading DCPs.
- Fix non-appearance of encode server icon on macOS in some cases (#2010).
Download it from here.
12th February 2022
DCP-o-matic 2.14.59 was released.
This releases reduces the validity period of DCP-o-matic's default signing certificates from 40 to 10 years, fixing failure of DCPs
to play on various systems (including some Barco and Sony).
If your DCP-o-matic configuration was created by a version of DCP-o-matic between 2.14.53 and 2.14.57 you will be prompted to re-create
your signing certificates. It is strongly recommended that you agree to this, otherwise DCPs that you make may not play on some systems.
Download it from here.
29th January 2022
Good afternoon from Berlin!
I am pleased to say that the release of DCP-o-matic 2.16.0 is planned for
7th February 2022. This is an interesting date, as it marks exactly ten years
since I made the first commit to the DCP-o-matic repository!
2.16.0 brings some useful new features and improvements over the 2.14.x series:
- Linux-formatted DCP drives can be written from macOS or Windows using the Disk Writer.
- Player performance is improved.
- DCPs can be combined using the Combiner.
- The DCP verifier built into the player is much improved.
- A number of new SMPTE DCP features are supported (CPL metadata, markers etc.)
- Full support for Apple Silicon (M1) processors.
- Subtitle export.
...and lots of other good stuff...
We are now in the final testing phase with version 2.15.188 (also known as release
candidate 1). If no show-stopping bugs are found, this will be released as 2.16.0
on 7th February.
If you have any time to help with the release, that would be great! The important
work now is:
TESTING — making DCPs, playing them back, writing DCP drives using the disk
writer — whatever you can, on whatever machines (Windows, macOS, Linux) you have
available. Report any bugs, errors or confusions you find in whichever way is most
convenient for you:
TRANSLATION — here you can see the current state
of the translations of DCP-o-matic from English to a variety of other
languages. Are you a fluent speaker of a language that is coloured yellow or
red on that list? If so, it would be great if you could help by translating
some or all of DCP-o-matic's untranslated strings. If you need help with that, or
don't know where to start, do get in touch!
As always you can download the current test version (release candidate) from
A huge thanks to everyone for your continued support.
All the best,